Saturday, November 11, 2006

remembrance

my veteran and i have had a very nice day filled with sleeping in, eating lots of tasty things, and driving over to the state capital to visit the memorials. frankfort has a ky history museum, several important cemetaries, a ky military history museum, and a very moving vietnam memorial. we visited the last two.

naturally the military history museum is filled with information about brave kentuckians and also many items that we 'souvenired' during various conflicts. the little explanation plaque actually said it that way: so-in-so souvenired santa anna's stuff and some of hitler's things too. i guess that's better than saying we pillaged.

the vietnam memorial is a huge sundial. the names of fallen kentuckians are arranged by year s0 that as the shadow passes around the circle, it falls on each individual's name, in order of their deaths. the names of those missing in action are placed away from the sundial so that the shadow will never fall on their names. everyday in the news i'm reminded that not everyone comes home. however everyone deserves our thanks and our remembrance.



3 Comments:

  • At 8:18 PM , Blogger Julie said...

    Sounds like a great day! I'm here from BlogMad. I also like the quote under your picture. :)

     
  • At 1:15 AM , Blogger Le laquet said...

    I bought a poppy as I came out of the supermarket on Wednesday evening.

    The veteran who was selling them must have been in his 70s but flirted like he was still 25 and told me that ladies buying poppies and smiling at him made the wait in the cold worthwhile! :o)

     
  • At 5:53 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hello, I came across your Blogg while establishing my own. I couldn't use armywife - you beat me to it, so it is the ausarmy wife instead. I laughed at the fact you chose the same colour for you blogg.

    I liked your contribution on rememberance. We have obviously just passed 11 Nov. Poppies are also very symbolic in Australia and worn by almost everyone.

    I am new to the Blogg scene. I guess I decided to use it for a way to get issues of my chest, but was really gratified to see how and why other people just share who they are with complete strangers. Thanks to you. I like your husbands potrayal as a Penquin!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home