Thursday, October 26, 2006

the timeline of a disaster


thirteen things about the unholy stench in the office yesterday
week #14

1. it was somewhat my fault

2. the biggest boss in the office killed his bamboo plant. well, he didn't kill the plant yesterday, just gave up on it yesterday. and then tossed it, still in pot, into the copy room trash can

3. the administrative assistant and i happened to glance into the copy room trash can and see the very pretty pot sitting inside. we then reministed about the homeless men dumpster diving, which we habitually witness in the dumpster across the street from the office. we then weighed the similarities of dumpster diving and picking the very pretty pot out of the copy room trash can. the copy room trash can only had paper in it and so in the end, i picked out the discarded pot.

4. since the copy room trash can did not have a liner, and since it seemed likely that the bamboo plant in its death throws might be messy, i decided to clean the pot out in the kitchen trash can, just around the corner from the copy room.

5. the bamboo i pulled out of the pot was awful. the bottom half and roots were all rotted and uber slimy. it smelled rather foul.

6. i discovered the rocks holding it up were still full of water so i poured it down the kitchen drain. the water was putrid. i then tried to dump the rocks out in the trash and found the top layer was some how sealed so that nothing below them could come out.

7. the rotten, fetid smell coming out of the very pretty pot was getting so strong at that point that my eyes were watering and my nose burning and i was starting to gag.

8. i tossed the pot away into the kitchen trash can and fled back to the copy room.

9. the administrative assistant didn't know what was going on or where the smell was coming. she kept looking around thinking, 'wow, did i do that??'

now, to me, if i was actually to blame, i think i would know right off. i would not have to glance around and wonder.

and since she did have to do that, i assume she was in fact contributing to the overall office aromas.

10. the heat kicked on. air started to circulate. the smell increased exponentially.

11. we hosed the office down with spray stuff. we made coffee. we popped popcorn.

12. i fled upstairs but still seemed to smell it. in a fit of depression, i determined that the smell was somehow on my clothes. the administrative assistant and i hunted around the building for a solution. in the end, i wiped myself down with an orange scented clorox kitchen wipe.

13. the lawyer's secretary missed out on all of this. i'm not sure where she was but about an hour later, she happened by the administrative assistance's desk and mumbled under her breath, 'wow, (the crusty old codger of a lawyer i work for) smells bad today!' we were hard pressed to convince her that it wasn't her boss but some hedious nastiness coming out of the kitchen trash can. and i was genuinely surprised at how easily she jumped to the conclusion that the extra special smell was coming from her boss.

hopefully the building has aired out some over night.




view other participants

30 Comments:

  • At 5:59 AM , Blogger Le laquet said...

    Oh my gosh! Are you going to own up to this in real life or just on t'Internet? I love the fact thay you wiped yoursleves down with a kitchen wipe. Lol!

     
  • At 6:18 AM , Blogger armywife said...

    oh yeah, everyone in the office knows what happened. if the stench itself wasn't enough, the story brought most everyone to tears again.

     
  • At 6:33 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Quite the story, thanks for sharing!
    My TT is about Halloween facts.

     
  • At 6:42 AM , Blogger Lazy Daisy said...

    How funny! Don't ya just love that we suspect others first rather than thinking it's something from the air?

     
  • At 6:50 AM , Blogger Jane said...

    That is hysterical. Rotting plants do stink to the high heavens.
    My T13 is up!

     
  • At 7:20 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Yikes! What an adventure. Hopefully the smell has now dissipated.

    Happy TT. :)

     
  • At 7:26 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    hilarious!

     
  • At 7:32 AM , Blogger Carmen said...

    all you had to do was cook fish in the microwave, and then that horrid smell would've taken over the other. ;)

     
  • At 7:36 AM , Blogger Meira{FB} said...

    That's hilarious!

    Happy TT!

     
  • At 7:37 AM , Blogger Meira{FB} said...

    That's hilarious!

    Happy TT!

     
  • At 7:46 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Allows blame it on the assistant.

     
  • At 7:49 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hey if the popcorn had burnt in the microwave that smell might have been trumped!

    Umoja

     
  • At 7:59 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Oh dear. I hope it doesnt smell when you go back the next day!

    Happy TT!

     
  • At 8:27 AM , Blogger -atomik kitten said...

    Rancid water makes a disgusting smell..

    I can't keep plants alive either.

    Happy TT - I'm up too.

     
  • At 8:28 AM , Blogger Chaotic Mom said...

    EWWWWWWWW! I read through every word. YUCKY! Did you "learn" anything from this????? ;)

    I've posted my Thursday Thirteen, too. Enjoy!

     
  • At 9:14 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You poor thing! Sounds like something that would happen to me.

    Happy TT anyway! *hugs*

     
  • At 9:16 AM , Blogger Andrew said...

    Unholy stench, eh? Happy TT.

    AC

     
  • At 9:50 AM , Blogger Melissa H. said...

    This story is too funny not to be true! LOL I had to wipe tears from my eyes as I read through the stench account. Poor "old codger of a lawyer" being blamed!

    My T13 on 10th Birthday Photos is up. Have a good one.

     
  • At 10:14 AM , Blogger CJ said...

    That's hilarious! At least you own up to your piece of the pie...at least on the 'net!!

     
  • At 11:22 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    ok..so, were you all doubled over laughing during all this?? The chlorox wipe would've had me completely in a laughing fit!! Thanks for sharing this experience and I'm glad things are starting to smell better now...

     
  • At 11:46 AM , Blogger K said...

    Ew, sounds awful! I really hope things smell better around there today!

     
  • At 12:09 PM , Blogger Kukka-Maria said...

    Too freakin' funny! I'm sitting here looking at my bamboo plant (which I thought of repotting, since it seems to just get bigger and bigger) and wondering if it's worth the gagging!

     
  • At 1:10 PM , Blogger Tracie Nall said...

    Oh my gosh. I just got a dirty look from my daughter becuase I am laughing so hard at this!! Oh the smell!!

     
  • At 2:42 PM , Blogger Colleen said...

    eeeeek. LOL

    Happy TT!

     
  • At 3:53 PM , Blogger angela said...

    Isn't that the way it always is? You think you are going to do something simple and it turns out to be the hugest thing...

     
  • At 7:55 PM , Blogger K T Cat said...

    What a hysterical TT! I love it. My TT is up.

     
  • At 9:12 PM , Blogger Nature Girl said...

    OMHeavens! That was hilarious! Thanks for the laugh...I loved this one. Great TT, mine is up as well. Stacie

     
  • At 9:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    It makes me so homesick for work...NOT! The advice I would give is that when you popped the popcorn you should have purposely burned it because everyone knows that no smell is as pervasive and unyielding as that of burnt popcorn.

    This week is my first Thursday 13, so I am lightly treading where I haven't trod before. Visit and be kind!

     
  • At 9:50 PM , Blogger Sparky Duck said...

    That was quite funny, though I can sympathisize since ive done that before in my office as well.

     
  • At 11:48 PM , Blogger Julie in Texas said...

    How funny! I can only imagine the stench of partially rotted bamboo water.

    Julie
    www.atmyhearth.blogspot.com

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home