Thursday, February 01, 2007

somebody has issues


thirteen issues.
week #20

life in the new office is an adventure. there are several positive things that could be mentioned but this is an issues list. i'll write down the positive things some other time. and while i don't normally write about work things, in part because there are just too many facets i cannot ethically discuss and in part because some companies find it inappropriate for their employees to blog, however today i just do not care (see #13).

1. see, i never thought i had issues with authority figures. and for the most part, i still don't think that. but i do have issues with rules that do not make sense. i have issues with stupidity. if you can justify your position, even if its different from mine, i can work with it. but if your reason is, "i said so," well then we have a problem. that doesn't work on five year olds, and so why would you think it'd work on me? why would an owner of a company wish to surround themselves with people who accept "because i said so"? when i run the company or the world or the whatever, i want to surround myself with people who use their minds, who think for themselves, and when i have a bad idea, especially when i have a bad idea, i want them to feel comfortable enough to tell me.
2. at the new office, i cannot hang anything on the wall. and all the walls are creamy grey blah colored.
3. i must speak exceptionally quietly (beyond the concept on 'inside voices') so that no one can hear me (and this would be easier if the place didn't echo because of the bare walls).
4. i can have absolutely no clutter on the desk.

5. the owner likes the place to be cold. so i have to sit at my desk and shiver.
6. there isn't enough covered parking for everyone. i don't care anything about covered parking but whatever, everyone else does. so its on a rotation. people are practically getting into knife fights over the covered parking.

7. several people in the building like to send out etiquette emails. i have been briefed on the afformentioned parking, the kitchen, coffee in the kitchen, said sound levels, monday meetings, bathroom flushing, and a multitude of other life threatening topics.
8. i feel like i'm in a prison lock down. i have to wave a keyfob at the machine beside the door. then unlock the door. inside there is a security machine which needs a code. there are cameras in all the hallways. but the trickiest bit is getting out. the front door will only open with the machine has a green light. if you loiter by the receptionist, the light will go off. you pretty much have to quickly walk down the hall and promptly out the door. and i don't get that. criminals who steal don't loiter by the door. they would promptly leave, right? so what are we preventing?
9. my filing cabinets must be asthetically appealing. we came here with black ones and white ones and off white ones and grey ones. some were slighly different depths than others. the movers bent a couple. some were rusty on top because of long dead plants. this is absolutely not acceptable. we are in the process of spending buckets of cash to replace them all and make them uniform. i'm not really clear on why. having mismatched filing cabinets didn't impede me from doing a good job, but maybe having matching ones will inspire me to greater achievement.
10. there isn't enough office space some one of my coworkers works in an office 25 miles away. its not really efficient to get work to and from her like it would be if her office were, say, next door or down the hallway. also we all miss her.
11. my office door sometimes accidentally locks and so i come into work, manage to get through all the security measures, and then have to press my nose on the glass and peer inside my window wishing i could get to the extra keys in my desk drawer.
12. the bathroom lightswitch has a sign indicating that if the lights are left on for too long, that they will short out, so please remember to turn them off when you leave. it hasn't happened yet, but any day now, i except to be going about my business in the bathroom and for the lights to flip off and to hear someone scream and realize its me. on a side note, we built the building, so i'm wondering why its wired poorly...
13. and to round of the list, today, someone accidentally fired me. i logged into the program to enter my time for today and the program said i was a terminated employee. its a 'glitch.' which is a nice way of saying HR is a couple of fries short of a full happymeal. everyone has been notified and i'm still supposed to come into work tomorrow, but i'm sure my next pay check will be screwy.


view other participants

12 Comments:

  • At 10:43 PM , Blogger Melissa said...

    Your list made me laugh. Sorry you are so frustrated with your job! I've worked at a place that had a lot of locked doors to get through, and it got really annoying.

     
  • At 10:50 PM , Blogger Rashenbo said...

    hmmmm, cosmic forces may be aligning against you! I'm sure having the computer tell me I was terminated would probably give me a strange sense of relief! :)

    I'm glad I get to work at home now... I just wish my daily tasks were a little better!

    Happy TT!

     
  • At 10:51 PM , Blogger Mia said...

    Aww...that sucks. I have thin walls in my office too. but other than that I love it.

     
  • At 10:55 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I could send you my 25 fifth graders....that would really break the acceptable the noise level! lol I hope that it gets better! Happy TT!

     
  • At 10:57 PM , Blogger Christie O. said...

    sheesh that sounds rough!! i think your boss needs a bahamavention. hope you're taking a lot of coffee breaks!!

     
  • At 11:06 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    WOW that is a little insane!! Love the note about building the building -to funny, lol

     
  • At 11:06 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Oh, how I wish I´d be able to translate what´s on my German mind right now... I feel so sorry to read about you have to go through these things. Hope you will find a better place soon!

     
  • At 12:03 AM , Blogger Lisa @ The Plain-Spoken Pen said...

    Your workplace sounds a lot like mine in many ways, especially the "because I said so" part. I'm sorry yours is so miserable.

    Happy TT!

     
  • At 1:10 AM , Blogger John Holland said...

    I hope they pay you well because it doesn't sound like a very good place to work.

    My 13 are up.

     
  • At 8:37 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Well... I now feel better about my day. Thanks for sharing your life experiences! (I confess I had a chuckle or two at your expense... but I was laughing with you, not at you!

     
  • At 3:15 PM , Blogger Susan Helene Gottfried said...

    I write killer cover letters, you know....

    Happy TT, and hang in there.

     
  • At 8:28 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    O.M.G., and I thought my office was bad!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home