Monday, February 26, 2007

mediocrity should be avoided if possible

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
— Arthur Schopenhauer

i'm above average but unless you poll, say, my dad, i'm not particularly exceptional. dad's and husband's and best friends, they are supposed to think that. its how the world works. but sometimes i look at the world around me and think, i'm not like everyone else and you know, i don't think i want to be like everyone else.

one of my coworkers really let me down. there are only three of us in my department anyway so that's kind of a high percentage of let down. on friday, we hosted a training day to get several people in the company up to speed. the three of us worked all day thursday to get everything all ready. we brainstormed for hands on excersizes and ways to make everything more interesting. everyone seemed happy and healthy and rearing to go on thursday. friday comes along and the third member of my team called in sick. my boss and i were in a frenzy to put things right and make it through the day. i'm just so appalled. i would never do that. i think even if i hated my job and my coworkers, i'd have to be nearly on my deathbed to do that. i don't want to think of myself as exceptional merely by default, simply because i'm not ok with mediocrity. uff.

i guess we'll so who shows up today

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home