Thursday, February 15, 2007

attraction, fascination, passion...neurosis


thirteen things i have obsessed about over the years
roughly in chronological order
week #21


1. barbie.

yes, ok, i know all about how her proportions couldn't possibly be natural and she's so thin and whatever. i don't care. she's also a doctor and a teacher and an anstronaut and a rockstar and a ballerina and owns an amazing plethera of businesses. she's run for public office, owns her own car, house, boat, and horse ranch. she's smart, self sufficient, and wears great shoes. get over the whole waistline thing and remind young girls that they can grow up to be anything they want to be.

2. new kids on the block

some of these earlier obsessions, i don't hardly know what to even say. *shamed faced* you know you want to hang tough...

3. kirk cameron

who wasn't a fan of growing pains? but at least i'm not into his current film biography.

4. anne rice

doesn't everyone have that moment somewhere in high school or college? that moment where you tread lightling into goth? well, i read nearly all the anne rice books and listened to tori amos.

5. tori amos

but isn't she beautiful??

6. u2

so many of the important moments of my life, my memories, are associated with either joshua tree or achtung baby.

7. vegetarianism

this one lasts for about four weeks, but repeats every three or so years. and sometimes also during lent but obviously for different reasons.

8. sandman

this is the first comic i ever read, and i've read it enough times i could quote most of it. i've also got nearly ever supplimental, complimentary bit of this and that (ok, so most of it was acquired through marriage. it was clearly a smart match and jane austin would agree).

9. kevin smith

the new jersey trilogy. what can i say? i love them. i'm not, however, a particularly big fan of the other movies. kind of like the starwars prequels.

10. west wing

smart and witty. i wish my president were at least one or the other.

11. derby glasses

this one is from 1978; the year i was born. naturally i own one. and all the others between then and now. i am a little bit nervous as to how i'm going to get the 2007 one...

12. buffy

if you have read my blog even ever, you've probably noticed this obsession.

13. stephanie plum

this started just after andrew deployed last year. my coworkers were trying to cheer me up and these books are hysterical. i can ingest an entire novel in an afternoon. great fun.


view other participants

25 Comments:

  • At 9:43 PM , Blogger Joely Sue Burkhart said...

    I still haven't read Stephanie Plum yet--I really need to! Happy TT. Joely

     
  • At 9:46 PM , Blogger Di said...

    In this week's Entertainment Weekly, I think it was the actor who plays Kevin on The Office, said that Joshua Tree was one of the greatest albums ever.

     
  • At 10:36 PM , Blogger EHT said...

    Interesting list. I lead a sheltered life....Stephanie Plum is new to me. I'll check it out.

     
  • At 10:36 PM , Blogger -atomik kitten said...

    My husband loves Mall Rats. I love Barbie!! My TT is about songs on my MP3 player.

     
  • At 10:48 PM , Blogger Milan-zzz said...

    WOW! I forgot completely about NKOTB! (never listen them of course (being guy should be explanation good enough)
    And I do love Tori Amos! (Of course U2 too)

    Happy TT!
    Cheers from Serbia!

     
  • At 10:49 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Great list! And huge yes on both Tori Amos and Neil Gaiman. :) And you probably know she mentions Neil on several of her songs!

    Thanks for visiting my blog, and happy TT to you!

     
  • At 11:18 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I keep meaning to read Neil Gaiman, but...

     
  • At 11:21 PM , Blogger Raggedy said...

    Terrific Thursday Thirteen!
    My TT is posted.
    Have a wonderful day!
    Happy TT'ing!
    *^_^
    (=':'=)
    (")_ (")Š
    Raggedy

     
  • At 11:44 PM , Blogger Jill said...

    I totaly agree with most of your list, the other things, I just don't know!!
    Anne Rice Rocks!!! And since almost all of her books take place in New-Orleans, a city a really want to visit, it's even better

     
  • At 11:47 PM , Blogger Sunflower said...

    Very nice list. I like U2 too!

    Thanks for stopping by my Sunflower blog and supporting me!

    Happy Valentine's Day!

    I will Exercise for Comments!
    Sunflower

     
  • At 11:53 PM , Blogger Mia said...

    Great list!

    I liked Kirk Cameron too.

    Happy TT!

     
  • At 12:13 AM , Blogger WendyWings said...

    What is life without ones obsessions.
    Kevin Smith did a cameo in Comic Book the Movie which was made by a company I used to work for.
    Have you ever seen it ?

     
  • At 3:18 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Great idea for a list - I may do this one myself one of these Thursdays!

    http://bluestarchronicles.com/2007/02/15/thursday-thirteen-14/

     
  • At 6:51 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Yay for Buffy!

    I should check out those books sometime. Never heard of them but they sound good.

     
  • At 8:26 AM , Blogger Jane said...

    What a great list. I loved Barbie. I remember my first one (I am much older than you!!!), I thought she was SO beautiful. I wish I still had her, she might be worth a lot of money!!
    I am a BIG Stephanie Plum fan. I have read them all and am anxiously awaiting #13!
    My T13 is up, drop in.

     
  • At 9:46 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Buffy and Barbie are the ones I agree with you as well as New Kids. Hehe ...

    Till now I am looking for Dawsons Creek reruns and even watch it in Japanese though I can't understand Japanese.

    Do drop by my post!

     
  • At 9:47 AM , Blogger Qtpies7 said...

    Yep, Kirk Cameron, New kids, U2, mmmhmm, 80's child. Thats me, too. But my obsession was Corey Hart. And George Michaels.

     
  • At 11:59 AM , Blogger Sparky Duck said...

    Heyyy, I collect derby glasses too, though your collection is better then mine. You can order them online you know.

    And great, now im gonna have hang tough in my head all day

     
  • At 12:11 PM , Blogger Kristin said...

    Hmmmm, a lot of dark items in your obsessions! I was a NKOTB fan, too. Thinking back on that - yuck!

    My TT is up, too.
    http://integritywebsite.com/quirky/index.php?mode=viewid&post_id=37

     
  • At 12:30 PM , Blogger Christie O. said...

    great list! you're right about barbie, she can be anything she wants. go girl power!

     
  • At 1:11 PM , Blogger Uisce said...

    huge west wing fan here. and barbie? for President? in 2000? oh man, that would have been so much better! :)

     
  • At 2:38 PM , Blogger Jessica Morris said...

    What a unique idea =) I love it! I haven't shared any of those obsessions!

     
  • At 4:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    u2, sandman, kevin smith and buffy? when did you find the time to go poking about in my house to learn about all the things I love *grin*

    Hard not to like a list containing these much loved personal obsessions.

     
  • At 1:49 AM , Blogger Dayngr said...

    Very cool list. Everyone is so much more creative than I am I think?!

     
  • At 5:44 AM , Blogger JHS said...

    Have read all of Evanovich's Stephanie Plum books and can't wait for the next one!

    I'm a Ranger woman!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home