Thursday, August 03, 2006

screams and thrills and extra sugery things


thirteen roller coasters near me
(week #7)

1. bluegrass park on route 60 near lexington was open until 1925 and featured a wooden roller coaster called the scenic railway.

2. kentucky rumbler at beech bend park in bowling green opened in 2006 is billed as the region’s most twisty roller coaster.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


3. also on route 60 just in west virginia is a small park, camden park, with two wooden roller coasters, the big dipper and the lil’ dipper. i'm not sure which one this is.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


4. joyland park in lexington operated from 1926-1964. there was a wooden roller coaster named wildcat and then the site became a bowling alley and then a neighborhood.

5. the biggest nearest theme park is paramount’s kings island in kings mills, ohio with 13 different roller coasters.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

6. six flags kentucky kingdom operates several roller coasters in louisville including the closest suspended one. its also the only roller coaster to make me cry. come to find out, i don’t do suspended roller coasters well at all.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


7. millsprings park in paducah sprang up in mid 90s and went under in 2000. briefly there was a steel roller coaster named creek freak. anyone know if spring and creek are really interchangeable?

8. holiday world in santa clause, indiana operates three wooden and one steel roller coasters.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

9. liberty land in memphis is thinking about reopening. its been bought and sold and bankrupt and reopened a few times and may open again sometime this year, who knows.

10. riverside park in indianapolis had two roller coasters in the 70s but now it just has some swing sets.

11. coney island in cincinnati has had a dozen different rides over the last century. currently there is a steel coaster named pepsi python. guess they needed some product placement.

12. dollywood is the fifth incarnation of an amusement park in pigeon forge, TN. There has been a different ride for each version of the park.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


13. i grew up near opryland in nashville and i think that might be where i went on my first ride. its now a shopping mall with no roller coasters but i remember a long long time ago, riding this one and holding my husband's hand.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



11 Comments:

  • At 11:11 AM , Blogger Changed by His Love said...

    I love roller coasters, although I haven't been on one since Six Flags in Arlington, TX. The Titan rocks!
    Thanks for sharing about the coasters.
    My TT is up!

     
  • At 11:17 AM , Blogger Norma said...

    I had no idea there were so many so close to each other.

    My TT is up.

     
  • At 11:34 AM , Blogger K said...

    Fun list! Though rollar coasters are just not my thing!

     
  • At 12:16 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    I love the rollercoasters! I worked for Six Flags Great Adventure, and LOVED it when we had employee night, where all the employees get to run through the park without guests. :)

    I had to go on the rollercoasters over and over again! that rocked!

     
  • At 12:20 PM , Blogger Carmen said...

    i love me some roller coasters!

     
  • At 12:20 PM , Blogger Meira{FB} said...

    OOOOOOoooooooooooooooo I can't rollercoasters! I just got nauseated looking at the pics!

    My kids do them, and Ferris wheels. I can't do them either. It's a height thing!

    Happy Thursday!

     
  • At 1:16 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Oooo. This is probably the nearest I come to ride the rollercoaster, I'm afraid of heights. I so envy people that can ride them, it seems to be such FUN. And now I can't because of my back problems, even if I could make myself to do it. Bummer.

     
  • At 1:30 PM , Blogger Renee Nefe said...

    oh barf! I ate too many guacamole chips before reading your TT. ;o

    I'm TTing too.
    http://lillyput.blogspot.com

     
  • At 1:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    sounds like you have a fun place!

    Happy TT!

     
  • At 5:13 PM , Blogger Minerva Jane said...

    I'm actually terrified of roller coasters1

     
  • At 2:43 AM , Blogger Raggedy said...

    Great list and pictures!
    What fun!

    My TT is up

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home