Wednesday, August 09, 2006

sassy, cute, and strong

Thirteen Favorite Characters
(tv, movies, books, and real life if maybe they made a movie of it)
week #8

1. buffy (buffy the vampire slayer) puns, witty phrases and comeback lines, zippy cartwheels. how can you not love someone who says, “thanksgiving is a sham with yams. it’s a yam-sham.” hee hee.

2. CJ (west wing) really, before long, you are going to pick up on a theme here...smart, sassy girls who love being feminine or maybe just love vera wang, what more could you want?

3. death (neil gaiman’s sandman) everyone who’s read the book adores her. she’s smart and cute and understands how the real world works. really.

4. mary, mary, and martha (real life) they founded the phi mu fraternity in 1852 (second oldest women’s secret society, presently know as a sorority but this group keeps the original name). the whole point of the group is to develop strong enough friendships so that later in life, after school, women wouldn’t be quite so lonely living wherever they ended up at.

5. roz (nora roberts’ garden trilogy) hayley says, “i want to be roz when i grow up" and i personally agree. strong, sexy, has wonderfully painted toes, you just can't beat that.

6. kitty pryde (x-men) might not have played big in the films but kicked wolverine’s ass in the comics. got to love that. (i know, the first swearing in this blog...but fighting in comics seems to call for that sort of thing) and hugh jackman is just too cute in a fight.

7. stephenie plum (janet evonovich’s plum series) i’m only up to book 7 in the series. right at the point where you don’t know if you want her to love ranger or joe but you know for sure everything is funny and you feel better about your own life after reading about hers.

8. joan of arc (real life) boy did she follow her convictions. i wanna be like that. i wanna follow things to their ultimate conclusion, whatever that might be for just me, doesn’t matter.

9. hermine grainger (harry potter books) ok, so she’s not especially cute or sassy, but she knows what she wants and she does it and i really admire that in a person.

10. ruth (bible) again, she know’s what she wants and she does it. except she’s one of the real people on this list. short book, very powerful story, you should definately read it when you get a chance. most of us know about the go where you go, your people will be my people part, but the rest of the story is wonderful too. great love story. boy meets girl. girl get boy to fall for her…follow God and live happily ever after. really. worked for her. worked for me too.

11. zoe (firefly the TV series or serenity the movie) stong. very powerful. she seemed to worry about what was the right thing to do and i like that in a person.

12. sophie (howl’s moving castle the movie, a book by another name) because she was ok with who she was, whether it be smart, pretty, clever, ugly, anything. i want to just be ok too.

13. some other really smart sassy girl…oh wait, i know…i think its definitely my mom. not on tv or movies or books (yet) but like so many others on the list, definitely real life hero material.


View More Thursday Thirteen Participants


24 Comments:

  • At 10:20 PM , Blogger Lyn said...

    Oops, I was thinking Mary and Martha, best friends of Jesus, sisters to Lazarus. And Mary, his mother. :-) Great list. My T13 - Classic Books I've Never Read Edition is up at Bloggin' Outloud. Thanks!

     
  • At 10:22 PM , Blogger Twisted Cinderella said...

    Those are great! what a great idea for tt! Mine is up too.

     
  • At 10:24 PM , Blogger Knitting Maniac said...

    Awesome list! Happy TT!!

    Mine is up, too.

     
  • At 10:28 PM , Blogger Crayonsetc said...

    Ok, was it just me or does 2 and 1 actually overlap on the blog (actually on top of each other). Good list... and you are right about Ruth... got to love that story!!

    Happy TT!!

     
  • At 10:29 PM , Blogger Barbara said...

    #10 is my favorite of all.

    My TT is up.

     
  • At 10:44 PM , Blogger Jen said...

    Ruth is awfully cool! This is a neat list :-)

    My birthday T13 is up!

     
  • At 10:50 PM , Blogger Southern Girl said...

    I love Stephanie Plum, too! Except I've read through the 11th book (still need to read Twelve Sharp) and I'm starting to get a little frustrated with her Ranger/Joe indecision. ;)

    *chanting* Joe, Joe, Joe, Joe!

    Thanks for visiting my TT!

     
  • At 10:54 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    As a teen I wanted to be Buffy. Hermaine is a great one. Ruth is my favorite girl story in the Bible. I love just sitting down and reading the whole book in one sitting. Very eccletic list of characters, I liked it! My list is up!

     
  • At 10:54 PM , Blogger Kelly Curtis said...

    Love CJ Craig!!

     
  • At 11:05 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I miss buffy..:) This is a neat list. I love #10! Thanks for sharing!

     
  • At 12:11 AM , Blogger Melzie said...

    great list! #9-- I so admire that in people! Happy TT- mine is up!

     
  • At 1:19 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Buffy is awesome, good TT.

    My TT is up to.

     
  • At 3:10 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Esther was pretty cool too. Great list.

     
  • At 5:01 AM , Blogger *~*Michelle*~* said...

    How fun! I love Roz, too!

    The person I can relate to? Jessica Darling from Megan McCafferty's books.
    My Thursday Thirteen is up!

    Happy Thursday!

     
  • At 6:29 AM , Blogger Carmen said...

    i didn't have to read past number 1 (though I did). Buffy rocks!

     
  • At 6:49 AM , Blogger Raggedy said...

    I did not do a thirteen this week.
    I have a little time to visit the ones who posted…
    Good List!
    Have a wonderful Thursday!
    Thanks for Thirteening!

     
  • At 7:45 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I love this list! So glad to see other fans of Firefly, even tho sadly it is no longer with us :(

     
  • At 8:30 AM , Blogger Lindsey said...

    Ruth is one of my favorite women from the Bible - she was just amazing!

    And Hermione? I wish I WAS her, LOL!

    Happy TT!

     
  • At 8:43 AM , Blogger Minerva Jane said...

    i'm a huge buffy fan too!

     
  • At 9:00 AM , Blogger Shannon said...

    I love Buffy too! What a gal.

     
  • At 9:38 AM , Blogger Heather Smith said...

    Great idea for a list! Ruth is one of my favorites!
    Mine are up here and here!

     
  • At 10:01 AM , Blogger Trish Ess said...

    I love the last one. Moms rock! :)

    Happy TT!
    Mine are up.

     
  • At 10:06 PM , Blogger Julie said...

    Hermione Granger will always be one of my favorite literary characters :)

     
  • At 11:29 AM , Blogger Glamorous Redneck said...

    Very cool list! I keep seeing things about this Stephanie Plum series. I think I need to check it out!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home